Wescoal Holdings acknowledges the impacts that coal mining, processing and utilisation have on our planet. It is, therefore, our intention to not only reduce our impact through aggressive mitigation measures but to also offset the losses in natural capital at the end of life of our operations. Environmental management in mining has often taken a backseat to production activities to ensure good shareholder value creation. Still, recently there has been a shift in terms of market expectations on the coal mining sector sustainability.
Our environmental policy takes a holistic view of our operations. The protection of natural resources is an integral part of our planning and decision making. We manage our company, wherever we do business, in an ethical way that supports an appropriate and well-reasoned balance between economic, social and environmental needs. We intend to implement and maintain, as far as is reasonably practicable, the activities of the company in such a manner, to prevent, reduce and mitigate any harm to the environment.
We are committed to:
- Do business with respect and care for the environment;
- Responsible utilisation of natural capital;
- Continually tracking and improving environmental performance indicators;
- Continuously improving and maintaining an adequate safety, health and environmental management systems based on sound risk management principles and structures. Which will serve as a minimum include:
- Compliance with our various environmental authorisation and all environmental legislation;
- Compliance with specific health, safety and environmental objectives and targets as set by the company from time to time; and
- environmental management stewardship within all our departments in the organisation.
- Promoting dialogue with stakeholders by participating in the various environmental forums in the areas we operate.